I’ve always said, “Growing old is not for the faint hearted.” It’s a time when we really need our wits about us as we contemplate retirement homes and possibly aged care. If moving into a retirement home or aged care is on your agenda (or that of your parents), you really need to pay attention to the financial implications or you could find yourself seriously disadvantaged later on. Recent news coverages have been less than complimentary of some retirement villages and age care residences for their complex fee structures and contracts. For example, one ABC news program, alleged that “exploitation
As we get older there’s a risk we could lose some of our passion for life. Things slow down and just seem harder. We may become dependent on others to accomplish what used to come easily. But to parapharase the late Zig Ziglar, “Attitude is everything”. At 71, Author Isabel Allende has a few wrinkles and a great perspective on life. In this candid talk, meant for viewers of all ages, she talks about her fears as she gets older and shares how she plans to keep on living passionately. I found the talk humourous and uplifting and really hope
I often get asked, “What’s the value of having a financial advisor? What is it you really do and why should I bother engaging one?” While the stock answer is we help you grow and safeguard your assets, having a financial planner by your side acting as a sounding board, can potentially save you from disastrous financial mistakes. The video below is a real client story. I think you’ll find it instructive.
When Eric Dishman was in college, doctors told him he had 2 to 3 years to live. That was a long time ago. Eric’s story highlights the risks inherent in medical specialisation where your treating doctors don’t always communicate with each other, let alone you. As we get older and find ourselves needing more medical care, it’s vital we take control of our own health care to ensure we get the best outcomes. Being passive is not the answer. I think you’ll find Eric’s story enlightening and moving. And it could just save your life.
What keeps us happy and healthy as we go through life? If you think it’s fame and money, you’re not alone – but, according to psychiatrist Robert Waldinger, you’re mistaken. As the director of a 75-year-old study on adult development, Waldinger has unprecedented access to data on true happiness and satisfaction. In this talk, he shares three important lessons learned from the study as well as some practical, old-as-the-hills wisdom on how to build a fulfilling, long life.
Did you know the Age Pension was introduced in 1910 for men over 65 and women over 60. Life expectancy then was just 55.2 years for men and 58.8 for women, so your chances of taking advantage of the pension was minimal. Fast forward to 2016 and life expectancies have shot up to 80.4 and 84.5 years respectively. So assuming you retire around 65, your money needs to last up to 20 or more years longer if you’re going to have a comfortable retirement. This short video from RetireInvest goes into why in more detail. If the video has
Every couple of weeks we publish articles and TED talks which we believe you’ll find interesting. You can always unsubscribe if you’re not interested in receiving them. With that said, the first cab off the rank is a TED talk by Dan Buettner, “How to live to be 100+”. He starts with, “Something called the Danish Twin Study established that only about 10 percent of how long the average person lives, within certain biological limits, is dictated by our genes. The other 90 percent is dictated by our lifestyle. So the premise of Blue Zones: if we can find the
Articles include: What’s driving the volatility in the Australian dollar? Further guidance on the $500k lifetime cap on non-concessional contributions Six ways to control personal finances after a divorce How the ATO’s new LRBA rules affect SMSF trustees 5 ways to build resilience Are you missing out? A guide to government entitlements Click here to read it.
Don’t be caught offside when the new pension rules kick in. The Government is making two changes to means testing for Social Security pensions (including the Age pension), which will take effect from 1 January 2017. Click here or on the image to read the article